The 13th Annual Wasatch Powder Keg is coming up!
Thanks to dedicated volunteers, continued racer enthusiasm, and the generous support of many outdoor manufacturers and retailers, the Wasatch Powder Keg remains one of the largest ski mountaineering (skimo) races in the US and it continues to grow! The 2015 Powder Keg is once again an International Ski Mountaineering Federation (ISMF) sanctioned race and is part of the USSMA Cup Series.
The Wasatch Powder Keg, Voile-USA, Vertfest, Outdoor Research, and Friends of the Utah Avalanche Center are teaming up to bring Vertfest to Utah on March 6, 7, & 8, 2015! This year’s race will again host a Fridaynight race before the pre-race meeting which will be a Sprint style race. Saturday will be the traditional Powder Keg race. Sunday will be the technical team race that is longer than the Saturday race with a roped section requiring mountaineering skills.
- The Wasatch Powder Keg Ski Mountaineering races
- 2 days of free gear demos
- Half- and full-day clinics on topics such as steep skiing, split-boarding, efficient backcountry travel techniques, mountaineering skills for backcountry riders, ski photography, and avalanche travel and rescue skills.
- A Saturdayafternoon party featuring a live band, BBQ, and a drawing for donated gear
We’re looking for enthusiastic volunteers to help continue the outstanding success of this race. Whether you’re a veteran volunteer from years past or new this year, we want you on the team. We have volunteer positions for skiers and non-skiers alike. To sign up, please reply to this email with the information requested below.
As a volunteer, your commitment will include:
- Attend the mandatory one-hour pre-race meeting, tentatively scheduled for 6:00 p.m.on Wednesday, 04 Mar. Location TBD.
- If volunteering Friday 06 March– available from 3 PM to 5:30 PM
- If volunteering Saturday 07 March– available from ~5:30 AM to ~ 12:00 PM
- If volunteering Sunday 08 March– available from ~5:30 AM to ~ 12:00 PM
- Help set the course Wednesday(4th), Thursday (5th) and Friday (6th) and
- Help with the race and racers’ pre-race meeting between 5:30 PM and 8:00 PM. Fridayevening, 06 Marat Milly Chalet at Brighton.
Powder Keg Race starting times – all from the Milly Base:
- The Sprint Race – Friday at 4:00 PM
- The Powder Keg – Saturday at 7:30 AM
- The SundayTechnical teams race – Sunday at 7:30 AM
Course maps, schedules, and more information is available at www.wasatchpowderkeg.com
Pass it on! Forward this message to anyone who is interested in volunteering.
The Wasatch Powder Keg is a great event because of volunteers like you who help organize and conduct the race. Thanks for helping out.
Wasatch Powder Keg Race Director