This is another long one, so please read carefully!
We have some exciting news for you all! We are tentatively scheduled for a SKIN Up and SKI DOWN event at Brighton on February 2nd, with the first wave going off at 6:30pm (Under 18 6:30-6:45pm) and the last wave at 7:25pm (Adults 6:50pm to 7:25pm) in groups of 10 in 5 minute intervals. There are only 120 slots available to keep things manageable (Jan. 19th event had 112 skiers!). We are still working on the course layout (and day of conditions may change) but there will be a good chance there will be a long option (1100’/lap) with the rec. division doing one lap and the sport/elite division completing two laps (there may be a booter) The course will be a combination of groomers, off-piste, and kick turns. Everyone should be making their way off the mountain by 8:25pm.
Please read the instructions below very carefully. Failure to comply with the instructions below may, at best, delay your start while you wait in the cold, or at worst, you may not be able to participate at all. Additionally, compliance with the instructions below will help ensure that we can continue to have events at Brighton Ski Resort in the future.
General Course Description (day-of course conditions will dictate final course layout):
The course will start at the bottom of the Great Western lift. The course will go behind the lift, then into the woods and up the rope line towards the top of Elk Park Ridge. From just below the ridge, there will be a short descent down to the Hidden Canyon Summer Road. From there, the course will climb up to the top of Elk Park Ridge (lookers left of Rockin’ R). The course will then descend Rockin’ R to the Snake Creek Flats then down the ski run to almost the bottom of the Great Western lift. (See the visual below)
COVID-19 Mitigation Guidelines to Participate:
- Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms cannot participate
- Anyone who has a known, positive COVID-19 exposure in the last 10 days, prior to the event, cannot participate
- Mask (not buffs, or your shirt collar) must be worn at all times in the start and finish area
- If a participant in the skimo event tests positive for COVID-19 within 10 days after the event, he/she must contact Utah SkiMo ( contact info: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please arrive to the start area no more than 5 minutes before your allotted start time
- Participants are not allowed to congregate or linger at the start or finish area. Once your effort is finished please leave the finish area.
General Safety Guidelines
- It never hurts to ski with a buddy, or let a non-skiing friend know that you plan to ski…in the dark…in a onesie.
- YOU are ultimately responsible for your own safety so please stay on the marked course for the event (Green is up, yellow is booter, red/red blinking is down).
- We do our best to sweep the course after the event (up and down). If you’ve lost a skin or glove we will announce it on social media.
- THIS IS NOT A RACE. Being the fastest downhill will literally WIN YOU NOTHING. Skin and ski within your abilities and comfort zone.
- Make sure you have plenty of battery life in your headlamp!
Instructions to Register:
- First and foremost, you must sign BOTH waivers here at the top of the page, labeled “Waiver 1” and “Waiver 2”: https://www.timetosignup.com/utahskimo/sheet/1309487
- If you’ve already signed both waivers you don’t need to sign them again, just check in with us at the tent.
- Use the same link above to put your name into one time slot, and one time slot only. Waves go off in 5 minute intervals from 6:30pm to 7:25pm. Waves 1-4 are for under-18 athletes. Waves 5-12 are for adults (18 and over) Each wave will be allowed a maximum of 10 skiers. We will be checking waiver signatures at the start. If you haven’t signed the waiver then you can’t participate until you do.
- If you think you’re a fast adult (don’t we all?), sign up for a time slot between 6:50pm and 7:05pm. Do you want to party skin to the top or do a shorter option? Sign up for a time slot around 7:15pm. Don’t forget to grab your friends and ski buddies to sign up for the same time slot too.
- Pay for the night’s entry fee ($15), or for the rest of the season(60$) at our membership page .
- Utah SkiMo reserves the right to cancel the event at any time (Utah SkiMo will do its best to give as much advance notice to any event changes or cancellation)
- Entree Fees are NON-REFUNDABLE
Instructions on Event Day:
- Please follow state and county guidelines related to COVID-19.
- DO NOT PARK IN THE MAIN AREA, DO NOT PARK AT GREAT WESTERN, park in between Milly Chalet and the church
- Check in will be near the Great Western Chair Lift
- Masks must be worn at all times (no buffs, or shirt collars), except just before and during your allotted time slot and event.
- Please do not hang around the start or finish area unless it’s 5 minutes before your time slot.
- After your hour effort, or 8:25pm, whichever comes first, please make your way down the hill
- There will be no post-event, in-person raffle. The raffle will be virtual and winners will be announced on social media and our newsletter in the following few days
- New to SkiMo? check out our FAQ
- Remember your helmet and headlamp!
Raffles and Other Prizes:
- The best-darn-raffle in Utah will be virtual for all of those who are current, paying members of Utah SkiMo
- There will be a canned food drive (1 can = 1 raffle ticket). So don’t forget to bring your canned goods (box will be located at check-in). The winners of the canned food drive raffle will be announced via social and our newsletter so don’t lose your raffle tickets!
If you’re not on Strava, and a member of Utah SkiMo’s Strava club, it may now be a good time to join!