This is a long one, so please read carefully!
We have some exciting news for you all! We are tentatively scheduled for a VERTICAL CHALLENGE at Brighton on January 19th, with the first wave going off at 630pm (Under 18 630-650pm) and the last wave at 730pm (Adults 7pm to 730pm) in groups of 10 in 5 minute intervals. There are only 120 slots available to keep things manageable (average attendance was over 140 last year; one number is bigger than the other). We are still working on the course layout, but there will be a good chance there will be a long option to the top of Great Western and a short option to the Golden Needle. The course will be a combination of groomers, off-piste, a booter, and kick turns.
Also, this is a friendly reminder to be patient with us as we work out the kinks of trying to put on a socially distanced, in-person, event. There will be hiccups as we navigate our current reality.
Please read the instructions below very carefully. Failure to comply with the instructions below may, at best, delay your start while you wait in the cold, or at worst, you may not be able to participate at all. Additionally, compliance with the instructions below will help ensure that we can continue to have events at Brighton Ski Resort in the future.
COVID-19 Mitigation Guidelines to Participate:
- Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms cannot participate
- Anyone who has a known, positive COVID-19 exposure in the last 10 days, prior to the event, cannot participate
- Mask (not buffs, or your shirt collar) must be worn at all times in the start and finish area
- If a participant in the vertical challenge tests positive for COVID-19 within 10 days after the event, he/she must contact Utah SkiMo ( contact info: email@example.com)
- Please arrive to the start area no more than 5 minutes before your allotted start time
- Participants are not allowed to congregate or linger at the start or finish area. Once your effort is finished please leave the finish area.
Instructions to Register:
- First and foremost, you must sign BOTH waivers here at the top of the page, labeled “Waiver 1” and “Waiver 2”: https://www.timetosignup.com/utahskimo/sheet/1309487
- Use the same link above to put your name into one time slot, and one time slot only. Waves go off in 5 minute intervals from 630pm to 730pm. Waves 1-5 are for under-18 athletes. If you’re not under 18 don’t sign up in this slot. Waves 6-12 are for adults (18 and over) Each wave will be allowed a maximum of 10 skiers. We will be checking waiver signatures at the start. If you haven’t signed the waiver then you can’t participate until you do.
- If you think you’re a fast adult (don’t we all?), sign up for a time slot closer to 700pm. Did you have too many cookies this holiday season or just want to party skin to the top, or do a shorter option? Sign up for a time slot on or after 715pm. Don’t forget to grab your friends and ski buddies to sign up for the same time slot too.
- Go to our membership page and pay for the night’s entry fee ($15), or for the whole season(60$):
- Utah SkiMo reserves the right to cancel the event at any time (Utah SkiMo will do its best to give as much advance notice to any event changes or cancellation)
- Entree Fees are NON-REFUNDABLE
Instructions on Event Day:
- Please follow state and county guidelines related to COVID-19.
- DO NOT park in the main parking area, park in between Milly Chalet and the church
- Check in will be near the Great Western Chair Lift
- Masks must be worn at all times (no buffs, or shirt collars), except just before and during your allotted time slot and event.
- Please do not hang around the start or finish area unless it’s 5 minutes before your time slot.
- After your effort, please ski back down the hill immediately, following the red, blinking flags. There will be no post-event, in-person raffle. The raffle will be virtual and winners will be announced on social media and our newsletter
- New to SkiMo? Check out our FAQ
- Remember your helmet and headlamp!
Raffles and Other Prizes:
- The best-darn-raffle in Utah will be virtual for all of those who are current, paying members of Utah SkiMo
- There will be a canned food drive (1 can = 1 raffle ticket). So don’t forget to bring your canned goods (box will be located at check-in). The winners of the canned food drive raffle will be announced via social and our newsletter so don’t lose your raffle tickets!
- If you’re not on Strava, and a member of Utah SkiMo’s Strava club, it may now be a good time to join!